Site under restructuring.
On-line applications 1st phase: 02/03/2021 to 20/05/2021 Click here
The PhD program in clinical and health services research is a unique program in Portugal and it aims to fill an important existing gap in our country. When it was created, more than five years ago, it was intended to respond to the needs and demands increasingly felt and expressed by the community, and in particular the healthcare professionals, regarding high quality educational offers and research training opportunities in clinical research and in health services research. The community was increasingly demanding a structured advanced education and research program that could prepare healthcare and other professionals for the challenges imposed by evidence based practices, the rapid changes in healthcare systems and technologies, health technology assessments and comparative effectiveness evaluations, health systems deficiencies and inequalities and the urge to use and develop tools that could effectively support and improve healthcare and medical decision-making.
The general objectives for the participants in the PhD program in clinical and health services research are:
- To develop a systematic understanding of the scientific aims and objectives of clinical research and of health services research;
- To develop specific knowledge, competencies and skills regarding research methods and techniques applied in clinical and health services research;
- To promote and develop the ability to conceive, design, adapt and perform relevant clinical research and health services research, in accordance with the requirements imposed by the higher standards of academic quality and integrity;
- To perform an adequate and significant amount of original research either in, clinical research or in health services research preferably including relevant contributions that may extend the frontiers of our knowledge, part of which should be published in national and international peer reviewed journals;
- To promote and develop the ability to critically appraise, evaluate and synthesize new and complex ideas and research work;
- To promote and develop the ability to effectively communicate with peers, with the academic community and with the general public about the specialty research area;
- To promote and develop a positive attitude, supporting, encouraging and advancing technological, social and cultural progress, in the academic and/or professional contexts.